Our Mission Statement to “Love God, Love People, and Make a Difference” is derived from two foundational teachings in the bible. The Great Commandment and The Great Commission.
In the Great Commandment Jesus responds to the question “what is the greatest commandment”, by stating “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind… the second is equally important: love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and teachings of the prophets rest on these two commandments” Matt. 22:38-40
The Great Commission is what Jesus gives to his disciples just before he ascends into heaven, with these departing words he tells them “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teach them what I have commanded you and remember I am with you always to the end of time.” Matt. 28:19-20
From these foundational texts and a deep understanding of God’s unconditional love for his people and creation we feel it is our privilege and responsibility to respond to God’s love by loving Him and sharing that love with the people and world around us. This calls us to action, to be a church community that not only cares for people inside our walls, but one that also seeks to “go therefore” into our community with that love and make a difference in the world around us.
We strive to live out that Mission by being a church known for is Giving, Caring, Loving, and Sharing personality.
- We offer high-quality educational programs for children ages nursery through high school, including Good Samaritan Christian Academy (PK-5), Faith Lutheran Junior/Senior High School, educational ministries and a variety of summer faith-based camps.
- Active small groups ministry encompassing educational, fellowship and service opportunities
- Dedicated ministries for Gamblers Anonymous
- Personal community outreach through our Sandwich Ministry, Family Promise participation, Layette Ministry and Lutheran Social Services of Nevada participation.
- International outreach through our Global Mission program which includes fair trade sales, adopt a child, and clean water programs along with special activities like Operation Christmas Child, Dress a Girl Around the World and organized mission trips.
- Special events such as Remembrance Sunday, military and patriotic celebrations.
Good Samaritan Lutheran Church
The prayers and praises of the first Good Samaritan pioneers rang out joyfully on December 12, 1976. Southwest Las Vegas was wide open space at that time. The congregation met in a hardware store during 1977, and was formally organized on October 23, 1977. The store was the Rainbow Mercantile Hardware Store, located at 3558 South Jones, which has since burned down. With 100+ charter members, enthusiasm for the Lord, and a faith that was growing, a congregation was planted that has flourished! Good Samaritan was the first Christian congregation in a building in Southwest Las Vegas. In this early location, the altar and pulpit were made up of the store’s wallpaper display tables. The church later relocated to its long-time location at Flamingo and Torrey Pines. After outgrowing that facility, the church was relocated in 2008 to a new campus. Since our transition to the new facility we have been continuing to grow both as a congregation as well as a school, Good Samaritan Christian Academy. We provide a legitimate alternative to the other congregations around us as we are the only mainline congregation within a radius of several miles.